How many criminal defense attorneys work with administrative license defense lawyers during the course of their clients' cases?

San Diego, CA |

Specifically, state licensing agency defense lawyers.

1. Administrative law attorneys work well with licensing issues as well.

2. I don't know that there are actual numbers available to answer your question accurately.

Some attorneys handle both the criminal aspects as well as the administrative, some have a separate attorney handle the administrative aspects, and some, like the public defender's office, do not address the administrative type matters.

You need to speak with each individual criminal defense office that you are considering and inquire specifically if they also handle administrative and licensing matters.

I hope that is of some help.

3. There are many possible and sound variations of inter-action between criminal defense attorneys and administrative law attorneys who specialize in defense of professional and occupational licenses. For example, my Firm's practice is more than half state licensing matters, primarily medical (including dentistry, pharmacy, and veterinary), legal, accounting, financial, and general contracting. But in about half of our cases, we act as consultants or sub-contractors to criminal defense attorneys who are representing state licensees charged with crimes that are expected to put the state professional license in jeopardy. What matters is not the specifics of the attorneys' relationship, but that there is a sound relationship with effective communications and that the relationship is created early in the criminal defense action. Much of administrative law (professional licensing law) is counter-intuitive and wholly alien to attorneys who are expert in criminal defense. Just by way of one highly conspicuous example, in licensing cases, the state's ("prosecution") first act in a hearing to revoke the professional license is to call as a witness against the licensee the licensee him/herself.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

4. Not enough! But it seems like you need to find one who does.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

5. You would like to know how many criminal defense lawyers work with attorneys who specifically handle administrative law cases during their handling of the criminal case.

First, the attorney who handles any practice area should be sufficiently familiar with the legal and factual issues as well as ancillary points such as unintended consequences that have a substantial bearing on the direction his/her case may take. Far too often, a lawyer may be unwilling to associate with experts, whether in the field of law or the licensed specialty as this can increase the costs to a client who might be looking for the attorney who can be retained for the least amount of money.

For example, if an attorney is defending a pharmacist for a drug crime, he/she would be well advised to consult or associate with an administrative law attorney as well as a forensic pharmacist to properly advance his clients rights and defend the criminal case. The same principle applies whether the criminal defense client is a doctor, nurse, psychologist, real estate or insurance agent, general contractor &/or an individual with any one of the approximate 40 different professional licenses issued in California. The same applies to a client going to school or college at the present time or in the future with the goal to obtain a professional license since the arrest and/or conviction can be used by the State Agency or Board to block the issuance of a license.

Second, there are some lawyers who handle both criminal and administrative law cases. You would be well advised, however, to review the attorney profiles on www.avvo.com to decide who is the most qualified to provide legal representation. The benefit of AVVO is that past and current clients often provide reviews, and other attorneys may write endorsements that can be helpful to you and other prospective clients in selecting legal counsel.

This communication is not, nor is it intended to be legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation, and to determine what time deadlines apply to the case in question.