Skip to main content

How many copies of everything do I need for the i-130 application?

Austin, TX |

I am a currently foreign spouse ( in Ireland ) , my U . S . wife is going to submit the i - 130 immigration form , and I am sending her everything that I need to meet the requirements at my end . Do I need to send 3 , 4 . . . 5 copies of everything ? I currently have 3 copies of all items , ( U . S . size ) Passport photos , G - 325A , I have only one official birth certificate at the moment , will a photocopy of this do ? Because when I photocopy it the word " invalid " appears as a watermark in the copy .

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    A clear copy, either in black and white, or color is fine. The invalid watermark will not affect the government's use of the document for confirming your identity and the names of your parents.

    You will eventually turn in your certified birth certificate when you begin the consular processing stage of your case. The government is not consistent about returning original certified copies, so I suggest ordering a new certified copy so you have one for your future use before you travel to the US. A person can usually obtain a second certified copy of a birth document for a small fee.

    The law may vary from state to state and is subject to change without notice so that some information may not be correct for your situation. You should consult with an attorney and not rely on any information contained herein regarding a specific situation. Please be advised that the act of responding to your question does not alone create an attorney-client relationship. A separate agreement that Wilson Law Group will furnish legal services to you must be entered into before an attorney-client relationship is established. Deadlines are extremely important in most legal matters. If you have any questions regarding this disclaimer, you may contact Wilson Law Group at 3019 Minnehaha Ave. Suite 200, Minneapolis, MN 55406 or via telephone at 612-436-7100.

  2. The clear color photocopy, if possible, should be fine to submit, but your wife will need the certified copy when filing for consular processing at the National Visa Center. If you are working with an attorney, then check to make sure whether the attorney wants to examine the certified birth certificate before filing the copy. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

  3. One copy of each documents is sufficient. Only your wife must submit a copy of her birth certificate if born in the US or US passport or naturalization certificate.

  4. just send one copy and never the original

    The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez, Elizabeth Cedillo or Yong Wood as highly skilled and experienced. In South Texas I recommend Jodi Goodwin from Harlengin or Leonel Perez of Edinburg. In San Antonio I recommend Bob or Nancy Shivers or drive to Austin to see me or my talented associate Jacqueline Watson.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics