How many continuances can a defendant request from the magisterial district court judge for the preliminary hearing? for trial?

Collegeville, PA |

(whether it is for obtaining a lawyer, time to prepare, time to obtain evidence, etc)

There is no magic number. It is up to the discretion of the judge. If you keep appearing without a lawyer, the judge may lock you up to ensure that you wil receive a public defender.

It depends on the judge and the legitimacy of the requests.

My colleagues are correct. I write separately to note that continuances of the preliminary hearing are granted by the District Justice, whereas a trial continuance is granted by the Common Pleas judge.

A defendant may request as many continuances as he or she can demonstrate good cause for the request. If the court determines the request is for mere delay and not for good cause, the court does not lack the means to move matters along.

No one can give you an exact answer as it is completely up to the judge.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.