How many calendar days does a person need to be served by if they are being sued by a collection agency?

Asked over 1 year ago - Duarte, CA

Not for small claims

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If this is truly a collections case under California Rules of Court, Rule 3.740(d), the rule itself provides:

    "The complaint in a collections case must be served on all named defendants, and proofs of service on those defendants must be filed, or the plaintiff must obtain an order for publication of the summons, within 180 days after the filing of the complaint."

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  2. Constantine D. Buzunis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Per CA. Rule of Court 3.740(d), the service must be within 180 days of the filing of the action.

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,434 answers this week

3,351 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,434 answers this week

3,351 attorneys answering