Skip to main content

How long would it take to process a "Petition for a Alien Relative,I-130" for a mother wanting to bring her unmarried son to US?

Chicago, IL |

I am a mother who wants to bring her son to the United States. I am a permanent resident, not a US Citizen. My son is 24 years of age and unmarried.

Could you please let me know whether it's possible for me to Petition for Alien Relative and if so, most importantly, how long will it take for such petition to be processed and my son immigrate to US?

Thank you very much!

Attorney Answers 1


It depends on the country where your son is from. You should become familiar with the monthly Visa Bulletin that is issued by the Department of State. It gives visa availability in the different preference categories. Depending on the country, the U.S. is providing immigrant visas to unmarried sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents in the Family based 2B category who have priority dates (i.e. the date on which the I-130 was filed) before February 1, 2002 for most countries in the world, to June 15, 1992 for Mexico. In any event, the current waiting time is now in excess of 8 years. The usual strategy is to have you become a U.S. citizen so that your son would then be in the first preference F1 category, which is slightly more available. Another option is to analyze what other visa options your son would have independent of your status.

The Visa Bulletin is available at

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940
fax: (312) 444-1950

Please visit our renovated website at, which allows client access to case status, enhanced information on services, and other convenient features.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics