Skip to main content

How long would it take, for the petition approvalfor my husband???

Carson, CA |

I am a green card holder (permanent residence) and i just filled form i-130 for my husband, that was JULY 18 2013.. i received my receipt at JULY 26 2013 and i saw that the priority date is written there it was JULY 23 2013... and with my receipt number i checked immediately my case status... and it says, INITIAL REVIEW.. i researched and read a lot of questions and answers about HOW LONG DID THEY WAIT, for the approval.. some says 5-8mos, some says 4months, my relative says 2weeks or 1month.. HOW LONG WOULD I WAIT FOR THE APPROVAL for my husband's petition, i really want a exact month so i can follow up the petition if it's too long pending.... thank you.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    In the F-2A category, it is taking about 16 months for the petition to process. After that, depending on *several* factors including whether your husband is in the U.S. or abroad, it will take about another 4-8 months for the adjustment of status (if in the U.S.) or immigrant visa (if abroad).

    Representing Clients in All 50 States -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Attorney Khurgel is a Former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer. Address: 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 Irvine, CA 92612. Email: Office: (949) 509-6515 Direct: (949) 535-6331 Fax: (949) 509-6599. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. 6 months or so

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. Hard to say, probably a few months.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics