How long will you be in the county jail for a first time probation violation?

Asked about 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

its felony violation

1. Peter Stephen Kirner

2

Answered . Unfortunately the likely answer you will get from every attorney is...it depends. What was your crime, what was you violation, who is you judge, how long have you been on probation prior to violating the same ????

All of those answers will yield a different result. For example, if you have Kathleen Satula, and it has been 24 hours since you were put on probation for a drug charge, and you had a dirty urine...well, I would expect jail. On the other hand, if it has been 2 years since your violation...MAYBE you will see no jail time.

It REALLY depends on the facts. Hopefully you have done some good things along your path, and this is just a minor bump in the road. If you have just been bad along the road and this is a pattern, I would expect jail.

2. Christopher Lee Beck

Pro

1

Answered . The bigger concern should not be how much time in county jail it should be will I do county time then be sent to prison. These all depend on what the original charge was, the type of violation, are there any previous violations or not, and the judges attitude towards this type of infraction. The judge could sentence them to any suspended time. Instead of speculating you should hire an attorney in the area. Good luck.

www.becklawofficellc.com

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . The answer to this depends on a lot of things. It will range from a couple of days to the maximum penalty for the crime for which you were put on probation. What is the original crime? What is the violation?

You need a lawyer, there, now.

Probation means you have already been convicted of a crime. A judge decided that you did not need to be imprisoned to protect society, but you are subject to being searched or locked up at any time if someone thinks that decision might have been wrong. You have one foot in the jail cell already!

When talking to clients considering probation, I often compare it to being like moving back home with a step-parent who doesn’t like you. That step-parent gets to set your hours, tell you who your friends are, tell you where you can and cannot live, and talk to your boss at work. If he/she thinks you are breaking a rule, you can be put into jail until a decision is made. It is a significant change in your liberty.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am a Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged.

There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via Internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.
    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. See DISCLAIMER link below for more.