How long will the petition by US Citizen for his parents and sister who is 11 take?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Margate, FL

How long will the petition by an US Citizen for his parents and sister who is 11 take?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Fr parents of a USC it's "immediate priority" , can apply right away. For your 11 year old sister, however, it's another story altogether. A siblings petition can take anywhere between 10-14 years from the time of petitioning, under current law.

    If your parents are in the US, then can immediately file for adjustment of status with USCIS. Will get EOIR green cards within 4-5 months.

    If there are abroad, you will then need to file with USCIS first, then will have to deal with the National Visa Center, as well as the US consulate I their home country. Can take anywhere from 9 to 18 months to complete and get here.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Theodore John Murphy


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The petition for the parents will take about six months because they are immediate relatives. The sister's petition will take about twelve years. She is classified as an F-4, sister of a US citizen.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I-130's for parents of USC usually take less than 6 months for approval.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  4. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree, but want to clarify that the processing time through USCIS is different than completing the visa process through both USCIS and the State Department's National Visa Center. In other words, it can take longer than nine months, even a year, for an immediate relative to clear both Agencies. Some may have other complications, but usually this is not the situation.

    As for your eleven year old sister, this can create a controversy. The processing times for the Philipines exceed twenty years at times. Some countries take longer than others due to U. S. Immigration Quotas. Your parents may not immigrate if your sister will remain without parents in her home country.

    From time to time, efforts are made to overcome these situations. However, the options may create additional complications. That is why you should seek legal advice from a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you spend too much money on a process that may be abandoned. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,605 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,605 answers this week

3,568 attorneys answering