How long will it take to receive my final divorce decree?

Philadelphia, PA |

I was told that once a judge signs off on the divorce papers, I should get my final divorce decree by certified mail.

How long will that take? My spouse decided to withdraw her request to contest the divorce after a dramatic show in court today.

Assuming the divorce is being transmitted now, it will need to be reviewed. If everything is in order, your divorce decree should be processed in about 2-3 months. It was taking 4-6 months at one point last year, but I've recently had divorce decrees finalized in about 2 months.

Good luck,
PS: Please mark this as a best answer if it is most helpful to you.

The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay, 1325 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19107,, (267) 519-2719, LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. You should not act based upon this general information nor without seeking legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. Any client reviews or attorney endorsements posted on this website are solely the opinion of that person and should not be construed as representative of the results you might expect to receive in your specific legal matter. No one can offer a review or endorsement concerning the type or quality of legal work they received in relation to the type or quality of legal work that might be done for you if you become a client of this office. This website is not advertising. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of our attorneys. This website and its feature to contact us do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay or any of its attorneys. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay practices law only in the states of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The Law Office of Christopher Barrett Fay does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Pursuant to the requirements of U.S. Treasury Regulation Circular 230, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used to avoid penalties imposed under the United States Internal Revenue Code or to promote, market or recommend to another person any tax-related matter.

For a no-fault divorce:
If you've been separated more than 2 years, then the divorce decree will take about 6 weeks, including court and mailing time.
If you're been separated less than 2 years, then the divorce decree will take about 3.5 months, including court and mailing time.

This assumes your attorney doesn't let your divorce paperwork sit around, and you do what he/she tells you to do when your told to do it (get papers signed and send them back to your attorney).

My law firm consistently gets divorces finished fast and affordably (currently $148 including court costs) at No travel to court or our offices. I hope this answer is helpful.

James David Cairns III

James David Cairns III

This answer assumes you are starting the divorce from the very beginning of the process.