Skip to main content

How long will it take to get my fiancée here in the states if im already a citizen? Anf how do i do that?

Upper Marlboro, MD |

Im a citizen and my fiancée is back home but i want her to join me in the state so my question is how long does this process normally take? And what steps do i need to follow?
Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You may bring your fiancée over on a K-1 visa, provided that you have already met her in person. The K-1 process entails, first, the filing of your filing of an I-129F petition for her here in the US. In my experience, it can take anywhere from 4-8 months for a decision on the I-129F. If the petition is approved, your case is sent for processing at the National Visa Center (normally 3-5 weeks) and then your designated US Embassy/Consulate back home is notified and your fiancée applies for a visa and is interviewed at that Embassy or Consulate so she can come to the US. At the visa interview, must proven to the interviewing officer that the relationship is bona fide and legitimate. It is a good idea for you to attend the visa interview with her. If her visa is approved, once she arrives in the US, you and your fiancée must marry within 90 days, after which she can proceed to file for her green card via adjustment of status.

    Please note, the above answer is for general informational purposes only. Se habla español. Falamos português. Representing clients in all 50 states and worldwide. Kristy Figueroa-Contreras, Esq.,, NEGRI, TORRES & FIGUEROA-CONTRERAS, PA, The Minorca, Suite 214, 2030 South Douglas Road, Miami, FL 33134, Tel. (305) 639-8599..

  2. You can also marry her abroad and file an I-130 to start the process for her to obtain permanent residence through consular processing.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

  3. Six months to a year.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics