Skip to main content

How long will it take to get a court date ater a motion been filed with family court

Fort Lauderdale, FL |
Filed under: Professional ethics

my lawyer filed months ago why is it taking so long to get a court date? Ex husband is not complying with the final judgement

Attorney Answers 2


It depends on the local court system in Broward and how backed up they are. Perhaps you can be heard sooner by a General Magistrate if avilable in Broward. Check with your attorney.

This is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice upon which anyone should rely. Nor does it create any attorney client relationship.

Stanton L. Cobb
Board Certified Marital & Family Law Specialist
Fellow - American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
P.O. Box 149223
Orlando, FL 32814-9223
Tel. (321)972-4643
Fax (407)374-2499

Mark as helpful


It depends on several factors:

First. If it is a motion for procedural request and does not require testimony, (such as a motion for permission to amend your pleading or motion to compel discovery) you can set it on the judge's weekly motion calendar for the next week or so. In Miami-Dade County you need to file your Notice of hearing and give the other side at least seven working days in advance of the motion calendar.

Second. If it requires testimony and evidence you will need to submit a request for hearing to the judge with a copy of the motion and indicate how much time you believe that is needed for both parties to present their side. Usually the longer the hearing, the farther away in time the motion will be scheduled. A thirty minute hearing may get scheduled much sooner than a three hour hearing, depending on the judge's (or General Magistrate's) calendar load. Often you can get a hearing faster if you request that the judge refer the motion to the General Magistrate.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Professional ethics topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics