How long will it take to change a visa status within US?

Newark, NJ |

Hello

I am on L2 visa in US and have applied for various graduate courses in US itself. I am worried with the fact that since the colleges are taking long to respond about admission offers, so my visa changing process may get delayed. My question is staying within US if I apply for change of visa from L2 to F1, how long will this process take?
I will not have much time once I hear from the colleges hence kindly tell me the maximum time which this process can take. So that I could find out some alternative in mean time.

1. There is no maximum. Estimated processing times are posted on the USCIS website. Processing can take less time that that posted, or more time time than that posted.

2. USCIS does not have a maximum processing time. The processing time varies by application because each one is unique. You best bet is to hire a lawyer that will make sure your application is in order to reduce delay. You can check on uscis.gov for processing time.

3. Unless your L-2 status is set to expire soon, you should not have any problem because L-2s are permitted to study in the U.S. If your L-2 status expires before you can file an application to change status to F-1, you would have to depart the U.S. and apply for an F-1 visa stamp at a U.S. consulate.