Skip to main content

How long will it take to change a visa status within US?

Newark, NJ |


I am on L2 visa in US and have applied for various graduate courses in US itself. I am worried with the fact that since the colleges are taking long to respond about admission offers, so my visa changing process may get delayed. My question is staying within US if I apply for change of visa from L2 to F1, how long will this process take?
I will not have much time once I hear from the colleges hence kindly tell me the maximum time which this process can take. So that I could find out some alternative in mean time.

Attorney Answers 3


There is no maximum. Estimated processing times are posted on the USCIS website. Processing can take less time that that posted, or more time time than that posted.

Mark as helpful


USCIS does not have a maximum processing time. The processing time varies by application because each one is unique. You best bet is to hire a lawyer that will make sure your application is in order to reduce delay. You can check on for processing time.

Mark as helpful


Unless your L-2 status is set to expire soon, you should not have any problem because L-2s are permitted to study in the U.S. If your L-2 status expires before you can file an application to change status to F-1, you would have to depart the U.S. and apply for an F-1 visa stamp at a U.S. consulate.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics