How long will it take for the Stipulation for Judgment to be effective and when will the Court issue the Divorce Decree?

Asked about 2 years ago - West Hills, CA

Brother's wife is a gambling addict and so we're trying move the divorce along as quickly as possible.

1. Donald Frederick Conviser

2

Answered . Assuming that all documents in the Judgment package were properly completed, signed and submitted, and depending on what Court the Judgment and associated documents were filed in, it could take up to three months for the Court to process, sign and enter the Judgment. Unfortunately, Court budget cuts have slowed the processing of Judgment packages. To expedite the signing and entry of Judgment, it may be necessary to file an Ex Parte Application - but it may be difficult for the Judgment Clerk to locate your particular Judgment Package to retrieve it to enable you to provide it to the Judicial Officer for signing and returning to the Clerk for entry of Judgment. If there were any errors or omissions in the Judgment Package, it will be rejected, and you will have to start the Judgment Package submission process all over after correcting the errors or omissions.

2. Diana Lucia Martinez

1

Answered . I agree with my learned colleague. I would also add that, in terms of when the stipulation is effective, you can include language in the judgment that clearly states (citing the appropriate code section) that you both intend for these orders to be effective immediately upon both your signatures so that you do not have to wait for a court's signature.