How long will is misdemeanor larceny stay on my record?

Asked 11 months ago - Lincolnton, NC

In 2010, I saw arrested for a number of charges, which I did not even know I was guilty of doing anything wrong. I had pawned a television which I had on rent to own. I moved from the county where I had pawned the television and after I had moved, the RTO company wanted the television back, even though I only owed 2 payments on it. I offered to pay it in full, and the manager told me that I couldn't do that and he wanted the tv back. At any rate, he filed charges against me and then subsequently, the pawn shop did too, since he found out through the grapevine that the tv was in pawn. When I went to court, they reduced the charge to larceny of 500 dollars. The original charge was a felony charge, and it was reduced. I can't even get a part time job because of this being on my record.

1. Damon John Chetson

2

Answered . You may be able to expunge a misdemeanor larceny conviction 15 years after the sentence or probationary period ends, even if you did commit the offense as an adult.

2. Matthew Vernon Silva

1

Answered . You have to have the charges expunged . . . you can have the felonies removed now, but if you want to have the larceny taken off, you are going to have to wait 15 years.

3. Ernest Clarke Dummit

Answered . These charges stay on your record for ever. If you were under the age of 18 you may be able to get an expungement, otherwise you have to wait 15 years under North Carolina law.