How long will I be in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Immigration

I'm going to the U.S. Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico in two weeks and i was wondering how long I will be over there for. I get there on a Monday and with the Medical Exam and the interview will all be in a span of 3-4 days, but do I have to stay longer or once I'm done I just go back home?

Well you haven't really given a lot of details. I am assuming you're going for a visa. However, you must realize that if you have ANY problems of inadmissibility, i.e., an illegal entry, past criminal record, or unauthorized time in the US, you will have problems at the consulate and may be there up to a year or more. Before you leave the United States, you should contact an immigration attorney if any of these describe you.

If you have no problems in the past and do not expect any at the consulate, I would check the current processing times at the DOS website for Ciudad Juarez. There you should be able to find out exactly how long it is taking for your visa to be processed.

Avvo doesn't remunerate me for this response, and I'm only offering limited advice based on the few facts given me in your question. I am not your lawyer solely because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me or are interested in a low cost or free consultation, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. It's impossible to fully evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

However long it takes for the Consulate to issue you the visa.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Before you leave, I really recommend checking with an attorney to see if you are admissible, and if not, if there is a waiver available for you. A lot of people make the mistake of leaving for their interviews when they are never going to get a visa to come back in. I really think it is worth it to check first.

The amount of time you will be outside the country will depend on whether or not you need a waiver. But you should also know that the embassy in Ciudad Juarez is all over the place right now and no one can really predict how long it will take. I would count on spending at least a few weeks there, just to be prepared, and months if you need a waiver.