How long wait after I-130/I-485 interview based on marriage?

Baltimore, MD |

We had an Interview in Dec 14th 2012, one issue we brought up in the interview was my wife(beneficiary) was charged with petite larceny and her court date was on Jan 3rd 2013 and later charges were dropped. When we had an interview at USCIS the officer told us that they would need the court disposition before making the decision, then he mentioned he will mail something within 7-14 days. It has been over a month we haven't gotten any mail from USCIS. Should we go ahead and mail the certified copy of my wife's court papers to USCIS?
how about InfoPass Appointment, will it help?

submit the certified disposition - they can't issue a decision without it

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

what should I use in correspondence with the disposition? my Alien # or I-485 receipt #?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

name, alien number. I would hand deliver it with the cover letter to the district office where your interview was held so that your copy could be stamped as proof of delivery. if you found my answers helpful, kindly mark it so.

Do I need an InfoPass to drop off court disposition document? can I just walk in and leave it with any officer?

Irene Vaisman

Irene Vaisman

as an attorney I get in with my attorney ID and go to the floor where the person I need works and hand it in. I ask to speak with the officer and sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't. As a lay person, you may need an Info Pass, however, its possible that they may let you in the building - depends on the district

An infopass might or might not help. Some infopass officers are more helpful than others. If you drop the documents off at infopass, they might not make it into the file. You should contact an attorney down there to help you with this. They may be able to help inquire on your behalf.

InfoPass website keeps saying unavailable, what if I just walk in and give those papers to one of those officers?

I agree with my colleague.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Something might have happened with the letter or form they were supposed to mail you. I would call the immigration hotline and try and figure out why you didn't receive the letter (they can tell you if it was returned). I would also make sure you give the documents to the right immigrations officers so that it doesn't get lost/misplaced. An attorney would probably be able to ensure proper delivery. Don't wait too long, because it might delay or disqualify your wife's application.

can I just bring it in without an InfoPass?

Ibraheim Nidal Shalabi

Ibraheim Nidal Shalabi

It really depends. My suggestion would be to make an InfoPass appointment and see if they can get it done for you, and if they hassle you then it might be best to contact the Immigration Department directly at their National Center: 1-800-375-5283. If it seems frustrating or too difficult, find an attorney. He should be able to speed it up without charging to much. However, I would just call that number to start with and see what info they can give you over the phone first. Good luck.

i called and no one there was helpful, neither didn't know where was the letter

Ibraheim Nidal Shalabi

Ibraheim Nidal Shalabi

Make an infopass appointment. If that doesn't work you'll need an attorney.

ok thanks a lot

Marriage and prenups topics