Skip to main content

How long wait after I-130/I-485 interview based on marriage?

Baltimore, MD |

We had an Interview in Dec 14th 2012, one issue we brought up in the interview was my wife(beneficiary) was charged with petite larceny and her court date was on Jan 3rd 2013 and later charges were dropped. When we had an interview at USCIS the officer told us that they would need the court disposition before making the decision, then he mentioned he will mail something within 7-14 days. It has been over a month we haven't gotten any mail from USCIS. Should we go ahead and mail the certified copy of my wife's court papers to USCIS?
how about InfoPass Appointment, will it help?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. submit the certified disposition - they can't issue a decision without it

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

  2. An infopass might or might not help. Some infopass officers are more helpful than others. If you drop the documents off at infopass, they might not make it into the file. You should contact an attorney down there to help you with this. They may be able to help inquire on your behalf.

  3. I agree with my colleague.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Something might have happened with the letter or form they were supposed to mail you. I would call the immigration hotline and try and figure out why you didn't receive the letter (they can tell you if it was returned). I would also make sure you give the documents to the right immigrations officers so that it doesn't get lost/misplaced. An attorney would probably be able to ensure proper delivery. Don't wait too long, because it might delay or disqualify your wife's application.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics