How long to wait to file bankruptcy again?

Asked over 2 years ago - Renton, WA

I had a friend who declared bankruptcy in 2004, and unfortunately will need to do so again. How long does he have to wait in order to do so?

1. Douglas Jay Lineberry

4

Answered . It depends on what chapter your friend filed under before (7 or 13), and what chapter your friend intends to file under this time around. The maximum waiting period is 8 years between filings, so if the old was any time in 2004 then your friend should be fine to file again sometime in 2012, once the 8 year mark is hit.

2. Joseph Wrobel

Pro

5

Answered . If this was a Chapter 7, your friend can file 8 years after the filing date of the prior bankruptcy. If the bankruptcy was in fact filed in 2004, then a new one can be filed some time this year. If a Chapter 13, can file right away.

3. Ted A Troutman

Pro

3

Answered . He has to wait 8 years from the date the prior chapter 7 was filed to file a chapter 7. If he wishes to file a chapter 13 the waiting period to file a 13 where he would receive a discharge is 4 years.

4. Gregory J. Jalbert

1

Answered . If you would like me to tell your friend if he can refile have him call me with the following information: date he filed and type of case and i can tell him his options.