How long to see a judge after going to jail on a bench warrant?

Wilkes Barre, PA |

friend was picked up on tuesday the 5th of august on bench warrant, saw a judge on friday the 8th and was told they were free to go but never released, was told later that night that there is 2 other bench warrants and it will take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks to see a judge. failure to appear is what all three are for. i thought you have to be seen within 72 hours after entering jail. the bench warrant that was lifted was issued on 7/25/2014, the other two were issued on 7/16/2014.

1. If you are serious about helping your friend, then contact an experienced criminal defense attorney. Most in your area will schedule a brief visit with a defendant in the county prison for little or no fee. If you do not know any attorneys, use the "Find a lawyer" feature on Avvo. If your friend cannot afford to hire an attorney, then he should apply for court-appointed counsel through the public defender.

2. I agree completely with Mr. Myshin's response. I will note my surprise that only one of three warrants were addressed by the court, unless the other ones originate in a different county. If that is the case, then it will depend upon the other county as to when they are considered by the court. At the moment a different county has no particular motivation to do anything, since it would require that they transport the prisoner. They may be content to wait and avoid the time, trouble, and expense of retrieving the defendant. Your friend's counsel will recommend an appropriate course of action. A particular advantage in a situation like this, especially if it involves more than one county, is having the services of privately retained counsel. The public defenders office in one county will not handle matters originating elsewhere in the Commonwealth.

3. I believe that my colleagues have given sound advice. The Judges will be concerned that there are multiple bench warrants.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.