How long time does it take to get asylum? how much it does coast with a lawyer? can i take work permit when applying to asylum?

Brooklyn, NY |

Syria MG

You MUST file for asylum within one year of entering the U.S. in order to have the best chance of success. In addition, this is one of the areas of immigration law where it is essential to retain an immigration lawyer. If your case is denied and you do not have valid status in the U.S., ICE will immediately initiate Removal proceedings. In addition, asylum has certain drawbacks to which a lawyer will sensitize you, e.g. you cannot return to your home country once you are granted asylum.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.
---------------------------
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on Avvo.com are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.

Asylum filings must be done within one year of entering the U.S. The length of time to get your interview varies based on where you live and the decision time varies based on the same. Please talk with counsel about the filing itself, the process and employment authorization.

You must file for asylum within one year of entering the United States. The time frames for interviews and decisions vary, and so do attorney's fees. If you do not get any decision on your application, after 150 days, you may be eligible for work authorization. I highly recommend that you speak with an experienced immigration attorney about this process, because asylum cases are very complex.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

87% of asylum claims filed without an attorney are denied, so an attorney is very important. After 6 months you can obtain work authorization. My firm handles Syrian asylum claims in Brooklyn, for more information click the link below.
Regards,
Nicklaus Misiti
212 537 4407

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Good, but once I get accepted asylum, how long it does take to bring my wife and kids from home country?

Nicklaus James Misiti

Nicklaus James Misiti

It depends and I wouldn't count on getting approved for asylum. That is the first step but asylum is very difficult to get approved and again I can't stress this enough, you really need an attorney.