How long takes to get the residence for a beneficiary that lives in Colombia when the cutoff date for category becomes current?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I am Colombian, I am a permanent resident since 8/21/2011. I got my residence through my father who is a US citizen. I made a petition for my husband who lives in Colombia and this petition was received on 1/23/2013. I know in august the F2A category becomes current so I want to know what´s the next step and how long may take for him to immigrate the USA

1. Stanley P. Walker

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Once your petition is approved, USCIS will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing. This usually happens within 30 days of approval. Once you have paid the NVC processing fees and supplied all of the requested information, the NVC will schedule an interview at the consulate in Bogota and forward the file there. If you move fast once the file gets to the NVC, that process should take about 3 months, give or take. I would recommend consulting a qualified immigration lawyer to assist and guide you through this process so you and your husband can be reunited as quickly as possible. Best of luck to you.

2. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . Until the visa is approved, and forwarded to the National Visa Center, and that process is completed, he cannot get his visa. It can take about a year and a half for the visa to be approved.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . I agree that this process may take 18 months or longer.