How long should we wait to start divorce process after getting employment-based green cards?

Asked over 1 year ago - Novato, CA

My husband and I just received our green cards. He is E37 category and I am E39 category. We've been married for 15 years and separated for a few years. Our marriage was genuine, but it has evolved into friendship. I'd like to know if an immediate divorce after getting our cards can affect my permanent resident status and my future citizenship.

1. Laureen Renae Anderson

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague, as this is not permanent residency based upon marriage in any account, I don't believe that there is any specific waiting time necessary to start divorce proceedings. Best of luck.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

3

Answered . Talk to an experienced immigration attorney regarding the timeline of separation and green card. As long as you did not stay in the marriage for green card, you should be OK.

3. Brian Daniel Perskin

Pro

3

1

Answered . As long as you got married for the right reasons, there is no set time period to file for divorce

4. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

3

1

Answered . Once you have your greencard you can get divorced whenever you want and it will not effect your status.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

2

1

Answered . Most likely not.