How long should it take to receive money left to someone when your parent passes away

Asked over 5 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

how long should it take to receive money left to someone when your parent passes away.....my father passed away in pennsylvania in oct 08.Its been a year and the beneficiaries have received nothing to this point..the three of us live in different states with one of us being the executor.....his will was simple with whatever he had being left to the three surviving children...no wife included.....most of what he had was in stocks....a lawyer handled the case to this point...received his money and still nothing about our share of the estate???????

1. Shawn C Newman

2

7

Answered . Thanks for your question. Since I am not your attorney, I can only give you general information that you may find helpful. If you need specific advise, I would suggest that you consult with a local attorney that can go through the specifics and provide you guidance to your unique situation.

Every estate is different, and may have nothing to do with the proficiency of the attorney that you handled. If it was truly a simple estate, and there are not assets scattered in multiple estates, a reasonable lenght of time to expect the estate to be settled is between nine and twelve months. However, before the personal representative can make distribution, he must recieve permission from the court that creditor claims have been settled and there is an accounting of the estate.

It is certainly reasonable to call the attorney and ask for a status.

Best of luck,

Shawn C. Newman, Esq.
    Attorney At Law
    1881 NE 26th Street, Suite 212
    Wilton Manors, FL 33305

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

3

Answered . Thanks for question. The best solution would be to send attorney certified letter demanding timelines on case and also ask for a partial distribution(sometimes availible). If valid reasons for delay are present-they should be explained.

3. Kevin W. Davidson

2

1

Answered . There is no easy answer to this question - every turn of circumstances can impact the time requried to settle the estate. That said, if you've had no word as to the disposition of the probatte case and the estate assets, you may wish to follow up with the attorney handling things to review what has transpired.

The process of probating a will can take one to two years, sometimes more, depending on how complicated the estate is, and what challanges arise. In Wisconsin, as an example, it is suggested that the average probate takes approximately 18 months.

NOTE: The information provided herein is intended as generic information only and does not provide legl advice with regard to specific circumstances. No attorney clint relationship is established by the provision of this information.