How long should it take to get back to New Zealand after being detained by immigration from an exp visa by 150 days?

Asked about 2 years ago - Spring, TX

I have a partner whos overstayed his visa by 150 days and is now detained in El Paso. He has sent a request to pay for his own ticket home. Some of the officers have mentioned that he may be detained for 60 days. Is this true and for what reason or is there a way for him to get back to New Zealand sooner??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is usually faster than this. Why was he detained, please contact a good deportation lawyer to help.

    Shah Peerally, Attorney at Law President of Shah Peerally Law Group PC Newark CA Important: The above is... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I hope he hasn't signed a stipulated order of removal as that may not be in his best interest. Also, I'm concerned why he hasn't been given an opportunity for bond. Unless there is some criminal history or fraud, he should be released.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,445 answers this week

3,638 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,445 answers this week

3,638 attorneys answering