How long should I wait to marry him after he divorced?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clifton, NJ

My boyfriend got his citizenship through marriage in 2012? Was married for 6 years and now is getting divorced and wants to marry me and help me get my green card. How long should I wait to marry him after he divorced?

Two years before he got married (2005), we had a son. After my son born he left and for 3 years I didn't know anyhing about him. When my son was 3 years is diagnostic with autism and I found his father to help me with our baby. After a year to see each other I was pregnant again but his wife never knew about this. And they continuous with their normal life.
After 4 months he gots his US Citizen He finds his wife cheating with another woman and she confesses that she is gay. Right now they are filing their divorce. He in this September 2013 is going to have 5 years since he got his Green Card.
3 months ago we decided to give us another chance.

Thanks for helping me...

1. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Best Answer

Answered . You can get married immediately after he gets divorced. You need to retain an Immigration attorney when he petitions for you, because your case will be highly scrutinized based on the facts you present. It can be done but it has to be done right. Good luck to you.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

6

1

Answered . There is no waiting period for a USC to marry after divorce. As long as the marriage is bona fide, namely, genuine, for love and affection, not to procure immigration benefits, you are OK.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

5

1

Answered . There is no waiting period. There may be questions of fraud by USCIS.

4. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

1

Answered . There is no mandatory waiting period. The shorter the time, the more scrutiny. However, your facts are very complicated and could present serious problems during evaluation of your case by USCIS. He can petition for you as soon as you are married, but you need to consult with a lawyer to prepare your case.

5. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

1

Answered . You can marry him at anytime once he is divorced. If he got his Green Card less than 5 years ago he will have to prove that his first marriage was bona fide (but presumably he has done so already since he was granted residence based on it). Consult with an attorney for a more detailed explanation of what you can expect in the filing and interview process.

6. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

4

1

Answered . In most states there is no waiting period except for the shirt wait after applying for a license (3-5 days). However, a few states have waits from 30-60 days.