How long once your divorce is final do you have to wait.?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Birmingham, AL

Filed papers in Jefferson county Birmingham Alabama awaiting final judgement

How long do I have to wait before I can get remarried

1. Patrick Mahaney

Pro

3

Answered . You must wait 60 days. See, Code of Alabama, 1975, section 30-2-10: 'Sixty-day restriction on remarriage of parties after grant of divorce or pending appeal of divorce.'

"When a judgment has been entered granting a divorce in this state, the court shall order that neither party shall again marry, except to each other, until 60 days after the judgment is entered, and that if an appeal is taken within 60 days, neither party shall again marry, except to each other, during the pendency of the appeal."

2. Amber Yerkey James

Pro

1

Answered . You will need to wait 60 days after your final judgment is signed before you get remarried, and that is assuming that your current wife does not file to set aside the order after it is entered. Alabama has a 30 day cooling off period between the time of the filing and the time a final judgment can be entered. Even then, it may not be entered on day 31. Generally, I tell my clients to expect it to take between 45 and 65 days from the date of the initial filing to receive a final decree.

3. Daniel Seth Williams

Pro

1

Answered . When you get your Judgment back it will have a date that the marital status is terminated on. After that date you can get remarried. Some will say you can do it on the day of, because technically you are no longer married as of the first minute of the day, 12:00 AM or in other words, midnight. But, I always counsel people to play it safe and wait a day if they are planning on being remarried. Besides who wants their new anniversary to be the same day as the day they were officially divorced?