How long must I wait if I've gotten convicted for a misdemeanor for possession of firearm without a FOID to obtain a FOID?

Matteson, IL |

Gotten convicted of this offense the fall of 2009

According to Federal and State laws, anyone who has been convicted of domestic battery/ domestic violence or any felony is ineligible to possess a FOID card in Illinois.
You must disclose the prior Misdemeanor conviction while applying for an FOID with the Illinois State Police.
On its face the above misdemeanor should not preclude you from applying, yet I would contact an attorney and discuss your particulars to present the FOID application in the most favorable way to the ISP. You may verify your eligibility to apply for the FOID with the Firearms Services Bureau at (217) 782-7980.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602