How long must a person live in Florida to be considered a resident?

Delray Beach, FL |

My son who is over 21 went to Florida from New Jersey in mid-July for drug rehab. He finished rehab the beginning of September and by mid-October seems to have settled in a half-way house in Delray Beach, FL. It looks like he will be living there for the near future. He wishes to take courses at a local college in January. The tuition rates at the college are much cheaper for residents than non-residents. So my question is when can he be considered a resident of Florida so he can save on the tuition costs?

Florida law does not establish a specific time. It has to do with intent and indicia of residency - things like state drivers license, voter ID, that type of thing. Universities and colleges have rules that they establish, and he can obtain those rules by asking the college, or looking at the website financial aid application requirements or student handbook. Educational institutions usually set a time limit, and it is usually a minimum of a year.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******

Alan Sanders Richard

Alan Sanders Richard

A better question would be whether or not he ever quit being a Florida resident. If he was a Florida resident before he went to New Jersey, and if he never intended the move to be permanent (or at least for an indefinite period), then he remains a Florida resident for all purposes, including for in-state tuition.

At least 6 months for divorce purposes. Has he taken out a Florida driver's license or registered his car here? They will look at those indicators.

State, local, and municipal law topics