How long may a Trust stay active after a persons death.

Scottsdale, AZ |

For instance, if there is an operating business as part of the trust and it would mean that the beneficiaries of the trust would suffer tax consequences by closing the trust is there a time limit that the company can remain in trust and operate without interruption or sale?

You definitely want to have the trust reviewed, but in Arizona, we have some nice new discretionary law that could allow the trust to keep operating the business even if the trust document doesn't speak specifically about that particular business.

We could go at it from a tax-law angle or a business-law angle. One of the most important things to consider would be keeping a nice paper trail of contact with the beneficiaries to ensure that one of them cannot become upset and demand that the whole thing be shut down right away so that they can cash out and have an inheritance immediately, thereby harming everyone else when the business has to be sold. I'm involved in a situation like that currently, and although the original trust was somewhat unclear, we've been able to keep things running and keep everyone happy.

The trust document controls here. The answers will be found by a review of the actual trust document.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

As Mr. Fromm indicated the trust document would specify what events would lead to termination of the trust. I would advise that you meet with a local trusts and estates attorney, who is also experienced with business succession, to review the key provisions of the trust.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.

My colleagues are correct. You need to review the trust documents to determine what causes or is required to terminate the trust. Your best bet would be to have a thorough review of the trust performed by a local trust attorney.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Tax law topics