How long may a doctor take to provide requested medical records (stall) ?

Austin, TX |

When is a call from an attorney warranted?

I happen to know that answer and the time is short. I had problems with my client's medical provider providing records, so here is the law. Send them a letter and quote this law to them and advise them if you do not have your medical records by the time limit here you will file a complaint with State Medical Board and HIPAA.

Good Luck,

Time limit to respond

When a physician or medical provider receives a proper written request for the release of records and a reasonable copy fee, he or she has 15 business days to respond. TEX. OCC. CODE §159.006(d). HIPAA privacy provides for a greater response time, but since the Texas provision is more stringent (i.e., it is the shorter period) HIPAA covered entities must respond in 15 days as well. 45 CFR §164.524(b)(2). Although there are certain exceptions that do not apply here, 45 C.F.R. 164.524 generally requires that a covered entity (hospital) provide a patient with a copy of the requested records within 30 days.

What constitutes a medical record

The Medical Practice Act takes a functional approach to defining a medical record by stating that the "term ‘medical record’ means all records relating to the history, diagnosis, treatment or prognosis of a patient." 44 TEX. OCC. CODE §151.002(a)(9).

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at and Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at

Most doctors offices/clinics contract out the copying of medical records to copying services, so depending on the size of the office and number of requests, it could take up to several months to get your records.

How long has it been?

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

I agree with Mr. Madison.

The mere mention of the Texas Medical Board should yield the desired result. Just in case it doesn't, a link to the website of TMB appears below. All of the forms and information you need to file a complaint against the physician can be found there.

Recommended articles about Personal injury