How long it will take to get approval letter for I-30?

East Elmhurst, NY |

I applied for my husband on october 2012. Its been almost 8 months and i still didnt get the approval letter. I am a green cardholder.

The 2A category for spouses and children of green card holders is backed-up betwee 1 and 2 years. The USCIS is in no hurry to approve such petitions.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I'd suggest following up by calling the 1-800 number for Customer Service. I've had a couple of clients approved quickly but, unfortunately, did not get the approval notice in the mail. Ask for the average processing time for the service center your application is being processed through and if your case is beyond that time, then request for a service center call for follow-up. Of course, if you have an attorney, s/he can follow up for you.

Given that petitions for spouses of green card holder take up to two years to become current and have an immigrant visa number available UCSCIS is in no hurry to quickly process and approve those petitions. You need to be patient. USCIS processing times can be found at

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Recommended articles about Immigration