How long it takes to get the appointment visa after submitting the last form t? Thank you

Fort Collins, CO |

I am an American , married a Canadian. Got married in America in Oct.2011, she went back to Canada for a week they refused to let her back in America till the marriage immigration papers are accepted, We just filled out and signed the last form to get an appointment for the visa, but is has been more than 2 months, what should we do?
Thank you

Currently Montreal is running behind on all Immigrant visa appointments. Go online to the consulate's website and find the IV unit's email address, wait for another 30 days or so before submitting an inquiry.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Sorry that you had to find out the hard way how difficult it is to sponsor even a spouse through the legal process. I can't tell from your posting which paperwork you submitted, but assuming it really is the "last" form and you are just waiting for an appointment, it is not unusual to wait two to four months or more for an appointment.

You can contact NVC to make sure your file is being processed correctly and is with the consulate, or you can contact the consulate directly (check the website) and make your inquiry there. Consulates are actually fairly responsive (and substantive in their response). Remember, you are contacting the Immigrant Visas (IV) section, not citizen services.

Good luck! And I hope your separation is ended soon.

This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about immigration law and policy, please visit or follow us on twitter (@lauralichter) or facebook, www.facebook/lichterimmigration. To find an immigration lawyer in your area, log on to Listed attorneys have been members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the nation's premier bar association for immigration lawyers, for at least two years, comply with annual continuing legal education (CLE) requirements and carry malpractice insurance.

I agree with my colleague, Laura Lichter. I submitted the last of the paperwork on a case that will interview in Montreal in November and it has just been set for interview at the end of January. Hope the information is helpful and good luck!

Recommended articles about Immigration