How long it takes to get I-130 approved ? will I be eligible for green card ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dayton, OH

I am F1 student I will get married to my USC girlfriend who I have been living withe for 3 years . I need to drop my classes this semester because I have heard that if i failed my F1 visa will be canceled or if I withdraw the all the classes . also I have heard that if I apply for I-130 I before I drop my classes in the deadline date 4/15/2013 will save my F1 visa status . my question have what heard is correct? how long it takes to get I-130 approved ? will I be eligible for green card ?

I contacted my school and they told me you will have to leave the country within 2 week of dropping the semester

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

22

1

Answered . If you file the I-485 packet together with the I-130, you should have you green card in 4 to 6 months.

2. J Charles Ferrari

8

1

Answered . Processing times are as posted on the USCIS website. You really need to retain an experienced immigration attorney, as your posting indicates you have already made a mistake that will cost you time. A whole I-130/I-485 packet should have been filed together.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

7

1

Answered . 4-6 months, assuming package is complete and there is no RFE.

4. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

4

Answered . It takes between 5 to 9 months in most I-130/I-485 immediate relative filings. An intending immigrant is not permitted to be a non immigrant student.

216.861.4414
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brown-immigration.com

5. Danny Garmo

3

Answered . Processing times are approximately 4-6 months given there are no Requests for Evidence and the security checks all clear.

6. Lalita Haran

2

Answered . You could file for immigration paperwork after marriage and this conflicts with F1 and to make an informed choice you should consult with an attorney. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com