How long is video surveillance kept when a building has cameras?

New York, NY |

Is there a set time limit or is it kept forever if no reports to 911 was made that day (i.e could 3 months ago)

Each building has their own procedures. In my experience two weeks is the average I have seen.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office and adjunct professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com

2. I assume you mean just some private building, and the answer is really whatever the policy or method the building owner uses. Once, video tapes were just cycled, say, every week.. Most modern surveilance stores data on disc, and the owner may back up to "cloud" storage or otherwise. You or your attorney can find out from the building owners. Obviously, delay increases the chances that the data has been written over. You may need a subpeona, so contact an attorney in NYC.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

3. That is determined independently by each building owner/manager.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=b25f75abbd88235595c83f542b19b844d423b850bd68ed4987ab300e3a2a66b7d24bcad971d32e4e ) ----------------------------------------

4. Each building has its own system and policies.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.