How long is too long to go after harassment?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Over the course of 6 years with an employer I was subject to many harassing incidents, and didn't really know it was harassment because there was no employee handbook and I was young and didn't know much about it. These incidents include calling me on weekends and in the middle of the night to yell at me or my immediate supervisor was drunk calling me, employees threatening to kill me, HR officers screaming at me in the middle of the workplace in front of others, sexual harassment, etc. But some of these are years old. Are they worth bringing up or will they be dismissed as I waited too long to bring them to light?

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

6

Answered . There may be a way to bring these incidents into a charge of discrimination if they meet the definition of a continuing violation. Please look at my guide to unlawful discrimination: http://www.avvo.com/pages/show?category_id=6&pe... which discusses the time limit for filing claims of employment discrimination, harassment and continuing violations.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

Answered . Yes, it is probably too long. Your post does not indicate whether any of these harassment incidents have occurred recently.

Regardless, I suggest you consult with an employment attorney to discuss the specific facts of your situation since this is a public forum.