How long is too long to go after harassment?

Over the course of 6 years with an employer I was subject to many harassing incidents, and didn't really know it was harassment because there was no employee handbook and I was young and didn't know much about it. These incidents include calling me on weekends and in the middle of the night to yell at me or my immediate supervisor was drunk calling me, employees threatening to kill me, HR officers screaming at me in the middle of the workplace in front of others, sexual harassment, etc. But some of these are years old. Are they worth bringing up or will they be dismissed as I waited too long to bring them to light?

There may be a way to bring these incidents into a charge of discrimination if they meet the definition of a continuing violation. Please look at my guide to unlawful discrimination: which discusses the time limit for filing claims of employment discrimination, harassment and continuing violations.

*** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Yes, it is probably too long. Your post does not indicate whether any of these harassment incidents have occurred recently.

Regardless, I suggest you consult with an employment attorney to discuss the specific facts of your situation since this is a public forum.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes