How long is the waiting time for a foreign medical graduate when he is Adjusting his status from F-1 to J-1?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Some hospitals do not sponsor H-1B visas but only J-1. I want to get an attorney to do my visa though ECFMG does the J-1 sponsorship, because I believe that attorney will make things faster. I want to do adjustment of status and getting my J-1 done without going back to my country.

Can someone tell me from experience how long the waiting period is for a person that adjusting his status in US from F-1 to J-1 visa to start the Medical Residency ??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . 2-6 months.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Tsirina Goroshit


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Agree with previous answer.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538... more
  3. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

17,623 answers this week

2,347 attorneys answering