How long is the bk process and what all comes off of my credit

Asked over 1 year ago - Banning, CA

Car, loans, medical bills etc...?

1. Hermin A. Dowe

5

Answered . For a chapter 7 from the date of filing to the date of your discharge is about 90 days unless you have assets that the trustee is trying to get their hands on then it can go on for much longer. if you are in a chapter 13 it can be from 3 to 5 years depending on your plan.

All unsecured loans ( credit card medical bills etc. will be discharged. If you are keeping the car you will have to pay for it. if you surrender it (give it up) then your responsibility for the car laon will be extinguished. It is best to discuss your case with a bankruptcy to get an indepth analysis of your situation prior to filing your case.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . I agree with the previous attorneys, it will stay on your credit record for a minimum of 7 years, sometimes the credit companies forget to take it off, so you should check seven years after the discharge date and write them!

3. William James Waters

2

Answered . I agree the process should take about 90 days from the date of filing to discharge. As far as what "comes off" your credit report, nothing actually comes off. All of your credit entries will remain, but the status description for everything that was discharged will be changed to read "discharged in bankruptcy". The negative payment entries, late records, etc. will all be removed however. If within a couple months after receiving your discharge there are still negative entries, instead of just stating the debt was discharged in a bankruptcy, then you can dispute the entry with the credit bureaus on the grounds that the debt was discharged. Once they confirm you received a discharge and that the debt in question was in existence at the time you filed your BK, then they will change the entry to show the discharge. The fact of filing bankruptcy will stay on your credit report for 10 years.

4. Brad Francis Weil

1

Answered . From Filing to discarge takes about 6 months. Everything is discarged unless you reaffirm it.

5. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . From the date of filing, about 3 months. All debt you named is wiped out UNLESS you reaffirm your car loan.