How long is statute of limitations tenant/landlord. I believe I had a portion of my security deposit wronfully witheld.

La Quinta, CA |

I had a $2,000 deposit and only $1,300 was returned. Landlord returned deposit within prescribed time but witheld $700 and refused to itimize any damage. Is the statute of limitation 2 years? I also had a extension to extend lease another year at same terms and conditions but he refused this and advised me to vacate. All rent payments made early every month and when I vacated landlord sent me e mail stating home looks great. Whateverdamage was done if any, I had no chanceto rectify and save my deposit. I moved July 6, 2012. It has been approx 14 months ago. I need to know if it has been too long to go to small claims court?

It is not too late to file a small claims action. The statute of limitations on a written contract is 4 years; 2 years for an oral contract. The statute begins to run from date of breach, i.e., the date on which the landlord was required to refund the deposit. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br> <br> Michael R. Daymude, Esq., Sherman Oaks Galleria – Comerica Bank Building, 15303 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 900, Sherman Oaks, CA 91401-6150. Telephone: 818.971.9409 • Website: mrdaymude.com

I agree with previous answer and don't wait any longer.
Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

4 years on a written contract, 2 years on an oral contract.