How long is it till I can take the citizen ship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tulsa, OK

I've been a resident since 01/08/09, and I was married to American citizen for 3 years. We got divorce 2 years ago. How long is it till I can take the citizen ship? And does it change something that I got divorced?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Laura Justine Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You qualify to apply for citizenship after being a resident for 3 years if you're still married to your citizen spouse. Since you are now divorced, you will have to wait until you've had your green card for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. The only exception would be if you got your green card through VAWA, as an abused spouse of a U.S. citizen.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney... more
  2. Christian Schmidt

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . The earliest would be 4 years and 9 months from the day you became a permanent resident. The Immigration Service may look into the circumstances of your divorce.

  3. Dean P Murray

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Sounds as though you have another year to wait, assuming you meet all of the other eligibility requirements of naturalization.

    However, I would strongly suggest that you use an immigration lawyer. There is much more to our profession than filling out forms. There is a lot of analysis that occurs behind the scenes. Get a lawyer and do it right the first time. Repeating anything in the world of immigration is on a time scale of months or years. As a result, it can easily cost you more time and money to obtain an immigration benefit on your own than if you use an attorney. Plus, keep in mind that there are significant “opportunity costs” as well. (A good example is where someone has to re-submit work permit application and wait a few additional months before working).

    If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

    Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely... more

Related Topics

Citizenship: How to become a US citizen

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Scott Thomas Helsper

Citizenship Through NaturalizationI

Naturalization is the process in which a person not born in the United States becomes a U.S. citizen. For more than 200 years, the United States has remained strong because of its citizens... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering