Skip to main content

How long I can travel with an expired ID card..??? Within USA ( Domestic travel) ??

Riverside, CA |
Filed under: Immigration

I will be soon leaveing USA . But before I leave USA i am planning on going to NY to see a friend.. By the time I go to NY it will be 5 months that my ID has expired.. Can I still make my trip to NY with my 5 months expired ID card Or is there any other way. Will there be any hassel for me to face at the air port.

I would like to know before I purchase my air ticket..

Thank you in advance.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should call the airline to see what they will accept. However, to my knowledge, you must have a valid picture ID to board the aircraft. If you have a valid passport, I'm thinking that should suffice. Call the airline.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |



Thank you Sir. But my visa will be expired before I make my trip to NY... That is why i have made arrangements to leave USA soon. Just thinkng about going to see my friend before I leave USA and wondering if i use my 5 months old ID card which has a clear picture instead of my pass port.. I will cal the air line too.. Thank you again..

John Grayson Davidson

John Grayson Davidson


If your passport, not visa, is valid, that should be enough ID. Call the airline.



Thank you Sir. Yes my passport expires on 2020. But are they going to look in to my expired US visa stamp and try to deport me.. But I have no hope in overstaying my visa.just worried as I do not intend to be deported or any other hassel. I will contact the air line. Thank you so much. This is very helpful..


Is this an immigration question?

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


An unexpired passport may be good enough. For more information on what is required as identification for travel, go to Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer