How long have I been Out of Status from my SEVIS? Can I get SEVIS Reinstated?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

Visa on F1 is valid through June 2014., initial i-94 indicates expiry as F1 D/S. Graduated from Bachelors on Dec 2011, OPT started from Jan 2012 to Jan 2013. While i was on my OPT, i had a job. On Jan 2013, I enrolled in a Masters course that granted me immediate 1-year CPT on basis of integral work/study, therefore I worked and studied. June 24th, 2013, my H1b was approved but I did not get a new i-94 Change of Status denied. Company filed for MTR which is still pending. On October 1st, my school auto-terminated my SEVIS as they thought I am in H1 visa, but I do not have i-94 for H1. DSO is not helping with SEVIS.

When have I been out of Status? Was it when i enrolled into the masters program, June 24th or October 1st?

Is it recommended to do a SEVIS Reinstatement from another I-20?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . These are good questions to ask the attorney who filed the MTR. Only he or she (aside from your uncooperative DSO) is familiar with the facts of your case and can give you an answer. We know nothing about your case

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Altin Nanaj


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . These are questions that your current attorney may and should answer for you.

  3. Alena Shautsova


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I can only guess at this point. You should speak with your attorney.

    New York Immigration lawyer. This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice... more
  4. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You should talk to the attorney who filed, without seeing the decision and basis for denying a change of status, it would be very unwise to render any opinion.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Adjustment of immigration status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,375 answers this week

3,283 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,375 answers this week

3,283 attorneys answering