How long dose it take to process an I-130

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

I am here in the US came with a visa 12 yrs ago, now am married to a US citizen and I have filed my I-130 March 2013, I got the receipt number and up to date when I look up online on the status it says its still on initial review.
It's over 3months now., next Saturday will be 4 months. Is that usual? What's going on here?

1. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . Is it safe to assume that you filed the I-130 at the same time as you filed a I-485, I-765 and other forms?

If not, you made a mistake and your I-130 has probably been put into a 'slow track' ... instead of the faster one-step track which is more appropriate for the spouse of a US citizen who entered with a visa, even if it is expired.

You should consult with an attorney.

2. Carlos Andres Lopez

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, if you only filed the petition. No, if you also filed his adjustment of status application, too. I highly recommend you meet with an attorney. My initial consultations are free, if you want more information.

3. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

4

Answered . Every case is fact specific. This is normal and you need to be patient.

4. Elizabeth Guckes Heetderks

4

Answered . Most of our clients in North Carolina receive an appointment notice to have their biometrics ( fingerprints, photos) taken at a USCIS ASC center about one to two months after receiving their 130/485 receipt notice, with final decisions taking 4-5 months. You may want to consult with an immigration attorney to make sure your case was properly filed with the appropriate supporting documents.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . The average processing time is 5 and 1/2 months.

6. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . If you did not file than adjustment application (along with the other necessary applications and forms and supporting evidence, you petition may be on a slower track. Average time for a properly filed petition with adjustment 4 to six months to be scheduled for interview.

919.225.3963
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brownimmigrationNC.com

Robert Brown LLC
    2530 Meridian Parkway, Suite 3050
    Durham, NC 27713