How long does the state or county have tobring you to arraignment or preliminary hearing or trial after a DUI arrest in pennsyl?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bethlehem, PA

i was arrested for a dui on may 6th. i finally heard something and had an arraingment on aug.29th

1. Anthony Gil

5

Answered . The police have up to two years to file charges for DUI due to the statute of limitations (2 years). From the time charges are filed, the government has 365 days to complete the case. There are a number of exceptions, such as any time for defense continuances. Those exceptions are called "excludable time." There are a number of court cases and statutes involved in calculating excluable time, and without having considerable experience doing such work, it may be hard to calculate. In your case, only three months have passed since your arrest. I'm not sure from the information you provided if police already filed the charges when you were arrested, or if they mailed you the complaint. In either case, it does not look as if you have a time issue just based on the facts you presented. I advise you speak to an attorney regarding your case, since there may be other issues an attorney may spot after consulting with you.

2. Forest Dean Morgan

2

Answered . This is within the statute of limitations. The Commonwealth has 365 days from the date of the complaint to bring you to trial (excluding any delays that can be attributed to you)

3. Charles Anthony Rick

Answered . I agree with both of my colleagues. The commonwealth is well within their 365 day timeline to get the case to trial.