How long does the state of texas have to indict me after an arrest?

Asked over 3 years ago - Tyler, TX

I was arrested for a felony forgery case in Texas almost a year ago and I still haven't been indicted? How long does the state have before they cant charge me anymore?

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . I'm going to assume this is a state case. When you are arrested, you are charged with the offense which tolls (stops) the statute of limitations. If you were not on bond, then you would have been entitled to release on bond once 75 or 90 days had passed.

You should have a lawyer representing your interests by now if you were arrested almost a year ago. Talk to the lawyer about what is going on in your case. Tyler is definitely a county that will not hesitate to prosecute cases.

2. Kevin Barron

Answered . Your question appears in the federal Criminal law section. If you're in one of the United States District Courts in Texas, the general statute of limitations is five years. 18 USC Sec 3282 provides in relevant part "(a) In General.— Except as otherwise expressly provided by law, no person shall be prosecuted, tried, or punished for any offense, not capital, unless the indictment is found or the information is instituted within five years next after such offense shall have been committed." I cannot tell from your question what type of forgery offense you're alleged to have committed.