How long does the police have to charge you for a DUI?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Washington, PA

Incident occured on 9/4/09, was taken for blood test which the investigating officer told me was back (well over the legal limit according to him). Still have not received anything in the mail related to court appearance. Is there a certain time frame in which charges need to be filed? Can this time period vary from town to town or is there a state law/rule regarding this?

1. John Lawrence Buckley

Answered . It is not uncommon in blood test cases for there to be a delay of this nature...up to several weeks. Did the officer not give you a summons and a court date on which to appear? If not, one will almost certainly be forthcoming. Is your address correct on your driver's license?

The more important question to address to a Pennsylvania DUI attorney is whether a summons not personally served is valid. One sent by mail is often not acceptable.

Consult with a local attorney as soon as possible to ensure that all of your rights are preserved.

Best of luck.

2. Edward Jerome Blum

Answered . I don't practice in PA, but generally speaking a misdemeanor has to be filed in 1 year a felony 3-4 years or more.

Edward J. Blum