How long does the person have to press chargers on someone if they got into a fight no fatal injuries were made at all

Asked over 1 year ago - West Chester, PA

The incident occurred on Saturday march 16 and it is now the 12 of march. The cops didn't give me anything being charged with anything, and the other party declined when asked by the officer that evening if they wanted to press charges. Now can they go to the police station and tell them they changed their mind?

1. Ross Marvin Miller

10

Answered . I agree with Mr. Crawford as to the statute of limitations for misdemeanors as 2 years and aggravated assaults 5 years, but be aware that all the prosecutor has to do to get the longer period is charge the higher graded offence whether or not it can be made out at trial. However, these limits only apply to the institution of charges, meaning the fling of a complaint. Thus, you may not be aware of a timely charge until after the statute seems to have lapsed. As a practical matter, in relatively straightforward cases like the one you describe there is generally not much of a delay and charges are generally filed very soon after the complaining witness makes a report. Do not delay is speaking with an attorney in the event you are charged and by no means should you speak to anyone but an attorney about your case.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

9

Answered . The statute of limitations on simple assault is two years, aggravated assault is five. Of this event happened a year ago, it is possible that the district attorney could decline to prosecute

Pro

5

Answered . You could be charged. Retain a criminal lawyer in West Chester if you are charged.

4. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

6

Answered . I tagged your question for criminal defense but I believe he can still file charges.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

4

Answered . Alas, there is plenty of time to charge you still. I suggest you hire an attorney.

6. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Crawford. You can still be charged for sure.

7. Christopher M. Patterson

2

Answered . I agree with the other answers. As a practical matter, once a victim has said he or she doesn't want to "press charges", the police are reluctant to pursue them. At the same time they may do so. I suggest you speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer in West Chester.