How long does the misdemeanor charge stay on record in the state of Mississippi?

Asked over 1 year ago - Jackson, MS

I received a citation for driving while license suspended in 2004, and it's still on my record.

1. Anders Ferrington

1

1

Answered . It does not go away. Misdemeanor charges are not dropped after a certain time. They can be expunged UNLESS they are traffic related

As for insurance purposes, that is up to the insurer

2. Victor Wallace Carmody Jr.

Pro

1

1

Answered . The Mississippi Highway Safety Patrol(MHSP) has computer programs that are currently set for five years of offenses under the traffic code,due primarily to the length of time law enforcement looks back to enhance punishment for DUI's(three DUI's in five years becomes a felony) Generally traffic tickets both stay on your record forever,and con not be expunged.However after five years MHSP would have to go into the records to find that which is no longer on their current computer records.In thirty four years of practice,and seven years as a police officer it has been my experience that MHSP looks no further than five years back. the chances of a suspended license ticket being on your record at the state level are remote at best.

3. Stacy E Pepper

Pro

Answered . It depends on which records you are talking about? Your record at the DMV only looks back 3 to 5 years, but your record in the court in the County where the tickets were received is permanent.