How long does the EEOC have to investigate my Sexual Harassment charge?

Asked over 3 years ago - Brainerd, MN

I'm the victim of sexual harassment and I filed appropriately with the EEOC, approximately 1.5 years ago. I am not very satisfied with the progress of my case. My co-worker showed me a pornographic video, harassed me daily by making sexual gestures and touching me. My company didn't even have a sexual harassment policy. I'm wondering if I should ask for my right to sue letter or if I should wait for the EEOC's findings? I've already waited this long!

1. Timothy Murphy Phillips

Answered . If you ask for a notice of right to sue, the EEOC will close your case and take no further action. So before you ask for a right to sue letter, you should make sure there is an attorney who will represent you as to the sexual harassment you experienced. Otherwise you run the risk of the EEOC discontinuing its investigation and no one else picking up your case.

In addition, once you receive a notice of right to sue, you must file your lawsuit within 90 days. If you do not file in time, you may be prevented from going forward with your lawsuit.

This information is provided for legal education only. It may not work for your specific situation. It is not legal advice, and I am not your lawyer; you have to find your own local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your problem.