How long does the DAs office have to prosecute a case before it is dismissed?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bronx, NY

I received a letter from the court stating that the DAs office is not ready to prosecute my desk appearance ticket at this time. I was instructed to contact their office if I have not heard from their office in at least 90 days. I called them after 90 days and was told they have not receive my case files from the arresting precinct. It has been six months since I was arrested. How long can this case be in limbo?

1. Benjamin J Lieberman

3

Answered . On a DAT the clock begins to run on the day after the first time you appeared in court NOT the day you received the DAT. The DA has 90 days on an A misdemeanor charge, 60 days on a B misdemeanor (or six months on a felony charge though it's unlikely you received a DAT on a felony).

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . 90 days for an A misdemeanor and 6 months for a felony. Wait until its over 6 months and then write to the DA's Office and request a Declined Prosecution letter. The case is dead.

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . It can be in limbo but you should call and ask for a no prosecution letter b/c their time is up.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Patricia Issberner

Pro

1

Answered . It depends on whether or not the Defendant has waived any of the "people's time". Defendant's are entitled to a speedy trial. However, in order to get the best plea deal from the prosecutor, often time s Defendant's and their attorneys will give consent to waive the speedy trial time in exchange for a plea to a lower offense. In your matter, you could make a motion to dismiss your case based on the lack of a speedy trial, depending on the level of your crime, (speedy trial time limits are governed by whether or not your case is a misdemeanor or felony), but be careful that you have not given your consent to adjourn the matter as this will not allow the speedy trial clock to begin ticking.