How long does the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process take in general?

San Jose, CA |

I need to file for Chapter 7, and would like to know how long the process generally takes? I'd really just like to get this over with.

1. Generally 30 days or so to your 341 hearing, and depending on your District, 60-90 days after the hearing for the Court to discharge you.

Eric Ridley can be reached at (805) 244-529, by email at ridley.eric@gmail.com, or at http://www.ridleylawoffices.com This answer is intended to provide general information only. It does not create an Attorney-Client relationship, nor should it be construed as legal advice or an opinion on specific situations. Eric D. Ridley is licensed to practice law in California. The Law Offices of Eric Ridley emphasizes Estate Planning, Bankruptcy and Consumer Law & Litigation.

2. Assuming no assets are taken by the Trustee to pay to your creditors (by far more common), about 3-4 months from date of filing of the case to date of discharge.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

3. However long it takes you to assemble the information your attorney needs, plus the time it takes to prepare your petition, plus about three months from filing to discharge.

4. Generally, from filing to discharge (successful completion), a Chapter 7 bankruptcy takes 4-5 months. In rare cases where there are pending motions, adversary proceedings (lawsuits), or the bankruptcy trustee finds assets to sell, the process can take several months (or even years) to complete.

Michael Chekian, Esq.

Chekian Law Office
    11400 W. Olympic Blvd. #200
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    (310) 390-5529
    Fax (310) 451-0739
    e-mail: mike@cheklaw.com

This post is for informational purposes only and is not specific legal advice for your matter. Please seek advice of an attorney for guidance in your specific legal matter.