How long does take to get my work permit and green card ( through marriage ) after filling out all the forms for USCIS?

Philadelphia, PA |

I just filled out all the forms required and sent them to Chicago. Do I get the work permit before I get called in for the interview? How long does it take to get the work permit and the green card?

I agree with my colleagues, in that it depends on the local office. Just to give you an example of times, I just had a similar case approved this week in San Diego, at the Chula Vista field office, that I submitted the first week of November. So it took just under 3 months for the permanent residency to be approved, and they received the employment authorization a couple weeks prior. I have another case that I submitted the first week of January in Santa Ana, CA, that just received an interview for the first week of March. So, assuming it is approved at the interview, that case will have taken around 2 months. You can also check processing times for your local field office online at the link below.

Thank you ,does it take longer in big cities ? my wife is a USC not a green card holder

Lauren Ashley Paulus

Lauren Ashley Paulus

I recommend you check the link I posted above. It should tell you about how long cases are taking to process in your city. I imagine that the time is similar in most cities, but it could take longer in cities with higher case volume. In my experience, most client receive their employment authorization a couple months after submitting their forms. After submitting your forms, you should get a receipt notice, then a notice for your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) appointment, and then a notice for your interview. Usually my clients get their employment authorization document sometime after their biometrics appointment but before their interview. This will vary by case, however. I hope this helps.

Yes thanks a lot

It depends on the local office. It usually takes about 90 days to get the permit, but if the interview is scheduled before that, you may not get it unless for some reason you are not able to be approved for your green card at the interview.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

The work permit is usually issued within 90 days of filing the application. Being scheduled for the interview in Philadelphia usually takes 4 to 5 months from filing, but I've seen it happen even quicker recently.

You should get your work permit before you interview. The permit takes about three months. If there are no problems the interview for the green card takes about six months. The card is produced about 2 months after the successful completion of the interview.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.